The Top 10 Most Annoying Bits of Parenting Advice

Parenting. Everyone’s an expert, right? Unfortunately people seem to feel the need to share their “expert advice” with any other parent they come across. With that in mind here’s my list of the top ten most irritating/useless things I’ve heard during my ten years as a Mum:

1. “Don’t pick your baby up each time they cry – he/she will get used to it and learn to cry for attention.” Yes, I’m sure at six weeks old she has magically learnt the art of manipulation.
  2. “Stop feeding your baby to sleep, she needs to self settle or you’ll be making a rod for your own back.” Uh yeah ok. If it works then that’s what’s happening. I’ll take any sleep I can get, rod or not.
  3. “Stop carrying your baby round all the time, it spoils them.” Hello have you met my baby?She is the human equivalent of a koala bear and a banshee all in one. I know which side I prefer to see.
  4. “You can’t wean at six months, she’ll starve. I gave my (insert child’s name) Farleys rusks at 3 months and he/she is absolutely fine!” You also chain smoked throughout your pregnancy. Enough said.
  5. “Sleep when your baby sleeps.” She doesn’t. Next?
  6. “That baby is hungry.” Really? It hadn’t occurred to me.
  7. “Isn’t she tiny!” Maybe you’re just enormous.
  8. “Make sure she has warm clothes on.” I thought I’d let her freeze actually.
  9. “Don’t let them eat that off the floor!” What? You mean the three second rule doesn’t apply to toddlers?!
  10.  “They grow up so fast don’t they?” It seems to take about  18 years to me.

What are the most annoying things you’ve been told?

As always, I’d love to hear from you so please leave a comment

X

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluslinkedinmail

29 Comments

1. Julia
    March 21, 2016 / 6:56 am

“That baby needs topping up, your milk probably isn’t enough for him/ is too weak for him” ( Mother in law comment!)

2. March 21, 2016 / 9:15 am

Haha this is too true! sleep when baby sleeps is probably my favourite, although I’m possibly guilty of saying it myself!

• March 21, 2016 / 9:16 am

When I was writing it I was thinking “I’m sure I’ve said this myself!” too haha oops!

3. March 21, 2016 / 9:17 am

When my youngest was tiny and suffering really badly with reflux: “Have you tried Infacol?” Are you fucking kidding me?!

4. March 21, 2016 / 9:41 am

Sleep when she sleeps still gets said to me, and I’m running a business, home and have a 5 and 3 year old… I’ll add that to my list of shit that ain’t gonna happen then, yeah? H x

5. March 21, 2016 / 10:06 am

My mum recently said to me, about my 7 month old, – “She should be sleeping through the night by now and shouldn’t be waking for feeds”. Great Mum, have a word with her then!!

6. March 21, 2016 / 6:19 pm

haha so funny. My own Dad would tell me to hold the babies head or watch the babies head,like I was swinging the baby round knocking off the walls or something.

• March 21, 2016 / 6:41 pm

Omg yes! I’ve had that said to me so many times too lol x

7. March 22, 2016 / 8:12 am

This made me laugh – “sleep when she does” She doesn’t – Next! I am laughing out loud! It’s not as easy as all these throwaway bits of “advice” make out! Good on you xx #TheBabyFormula

8. March 22, 2016 / 10:05 am

Haha, one of mine was “Breastfeeding doesn’t hurt if you are doing it right” THEN TELL ME WHAT TO DO YOU SMUG BINT! Rather than letting me sit here suffering with cheesegrated nips. Sigh. #thebabyformula

9. anywaytostayathome
    March 23, 2016 / 1:09 pm

Pahaha I’ve had most of these. Best advice I ever had was ‘listen to all the advice but only remember the bits you like’ worst advice I ever had ‘if you let him cry (I hadn’t even had time to stand up yet, it had been about 3 seconds) he’s not going to be able to love you’ that from a supposed friend, lovely hey. #TheBabyFormula

10. March 24, 2016 / 8:37 pm

Yep heard it all! 😉 great post. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

11. March 28, 2016 / 6:29 pm

Yep I definitely heard all of these. Sometime I think people should actually listen to what they are saying. Great post.

• admin
      March 28, 2016 / 6:37 pm

12. March 30, 2016 / 4:04 pm

I always make a point of not giving parenting advice, whether it’s asked for or not because I remember how frustrated I used to get with, often conflicting, advice. I also happen to think it’s rather foolish trying to give advice or get to close to sleep-deprived people. I love your list – #7 is may favourite, #9 – our germs wait 5 seconds and I am totally guilty of #10 but I totally stand by it #BloggerClubUK

• March 30, 2016 / 4:07 pm

Totally guilty of number ten as well – oops! Thanks for visiting my blog x

13. March 30, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Haha this made me laugh, all of those things – YES!!! Sleep when the baby sleeps used to annoy me the most, when do they suggest that I get anything done?! #BloggerClubUK

14. March 31, 2016 / 10:05 pm

Haha! I’ve heard a few of these that’s for sure! But I am also guilty of saying a few too! I didn’t mind the sleep when baby sleeps comment with the first, but with second and third, why would anyone even suggest I have time to sleep? I also can’t seem to tweet your post lovely, it is probably a problem my side though as I have been having issues all evening #bloggerclubUK xx

• Fi
      April 1, 2016 / 5:21 am

I’m not sure Hun I’ve been having a few technical problems with my blog too but thanks for reading xx

15. April 5, 2016 / 8:08 pm

Sometimes I just want to shout ARGH!!!!! But don’t just smile sweetly and get on with it. Monkey is coming up to 4 so I can’t remember any other specific comments but I am sure I got all of these at some point. The one which really grates me at the moment is are you sure you are only carrying 1 baby (I am 36 weeks) … do you not think that would have come out on a scan by now?! Thank you for joining us at #BloggerClubUK hope to see you again this week xx
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…12 Uses for Giant MuslinsMy Profile

• April 5, 2016 / 8:16 pm

Some people are so rude! They think when you’re pregnant it’s free reign to say whatever pops into their head I think! Thanks for having me x