Parenting. Everyone’s an expert, right? Unfortunately people seem to feel the need to share their “expert advice” with any other parent they come across. With that in mind here’s my list of the top ten most irritating/useless things I’ve heard during my ten years as a Mum:
- “Don’t pick your baby up each time they cry – he/she will get used to it and learn to cry for attention.” Yes, I’m sure at six weeks old she has magically learnt the art of manipulation.
- “Stop feeding your baby to sleep, she needs to self settle or you’ll be making a rod for your own back.” Uh yeah ok. If it works then that’s what’s happening. I’ll take any sleep I can get, rod or not.
- “Stop carrying your baby round all the time, it spoils them.” Hello have you met my baby?She is the human equivalent of a koala bear and a banshee all in one. I know which side I prefer to see.
- “You can’t wean at six months, she’ll starve. I gave my (insert child’s name) Farleys rusks at 3 months and he/she is absolutely fine!” You also chain smoked throughout your pregnancy. Enough said.
- “Sleep when your baby sleeps.” She doesn’t. Next?
- “That baby is hungry.” Really? It hadn’t occurred to me.
- “Isn’t she tiny!” Maybe you’re just enormous.
- “Make sure she has warm clothes on.” I thought I’d let her freeze actually.
- “Don’t let them eat that off the floor!” What? You mean the three second rule doesn’t apply to toddlers?!
- “They grow up so fast don’t they?” It seems to take about 18 years to me.
What are the most annoying things you’ve been told?
As always, I’d love to hear from you so please leave a comment